Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Words

Today I am feeling sad for someone I don't even know. 

I was introduced to a CaringBridge page a couple months ago.  A fellow travel agent arranged a family's visit to Disney World with their sick 2-year old daughter and 3 older kids.  She shared the page with us so we could post our well wishes for a magical family vacation.  Many of us posted happy thoughts on their page to let them know we were thinking of them, and I hope that lifted their spirits and made their Disney vacation even more memorable.

However, what I received in return for my simple post was far more than I ever imagined.  I subscribed to the updates and went back to read this family's story.  What a story it was!  Being a mom with young children, my heart would break as I read the progress of their journey. 

Words can be a powerful thing.  Very few people are blessed with the talent of writing well.  And this was just a mom posting her daily thoughts and experiences and happenings with her daughter's illness and journey towards death.  She was no professional---just someone being honest and open and pouring her heart out on the internet.  At times I had to fight back tears when she wrote about the simple joys that a mother has and the thought and reality of how it was not going to last for her and that she would have to work hard to keep such moments in her heart and mind.

Hailey died this week.  That very sad journey is over now.  My heart is hurting for this family.  Her words and story touched me more than they will every know.  I just pray that they find peace in the coming days which are sure to be difficult for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment